Honduras have enjoyed some level of success in the last one decade especially in the area of FIFA World Cup football. Honduras have qualified for three FIFA World Cup tournaments and the last two qualifications came in the last decade.
Honduras qualified for their debut World Cup tournament at the 1982 edition in Spain and they had to wait for a long time before making their second appearance at the tournament. After a 28-year absence from the tournament, Honduras qualified for their second World Cup at the 2010 edition in South Africa before making a second successive World Cup appearance at the 2014 edition in Brazil. Let’s examine the top ten all-time Honduras footballers:
- Emilio Izaguirre – He’s widely regarded as one of the best fullbacks in the history of national team football in Honduras. His biggest moment came at Celtic when he was named the Player of the Year Award in Scotland.
- Noel Valladares – He won the Golden Glove at the 2011 CONCACAF Gold Cup. Noel Valladares is undoubtedly the greatest goalkeeper in the history of the Honduran national team.
- Oscar Garcia –He won the Latin Player of the Year in the MLS during his debut season with Houston Dynamo in his first season with the MLS club.
- Amado Guevara – The ex-Honduran international player scored 27 goals in 138 appearances for Honduras over a period of 16 years between 1994 and 2010. He found the back of the net three times at the 2001 Copa America tournament as Honduras reached the last eight before they were beaten by Brazil in the quarterfinals. His finest moment in club football came in the colours of New York Red Bulls in the MLS. He was named in the MLS Team of the Year in 2004.
- Carlos Pavon – The striker netted 58 goals in 101 Honduras caps between 1993 to 2010.